Running out of Handrub?
According to medical experts, hand disinfection is one of the effective ways to prevent transmission of bacterial and viral carriers.
The best way is washing hands with soap and water for 45 seconds then wipe dry.
But in case of no available wash basins and water outlets nearby, disinfecting handrub would be an alternative solution – even an emergency solution after sneezing or contact with unclean surfaces.
And do you know how to make antimicrobal handrub at home?
Here is all you need for self-made disinfecting handrub
#1 Disinfection spray:
- 1 bottle spirit of wine (700ml), or 700 ml of 70% ethanol, or 600 ml of organic ethanol (can be found in hardware stores)
- 70 ml of distilled or boiled water
- 20-30 drops of pure natural essential oils with antiviral properties (e.g. eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender & lemon oil)
- Optional: 10 ml glycerine 98% (can be found in pharmacies), or vitamin E oil
- Empty 100 ml spray bottle and a small funnel
#2 Disinfection gel
- 50 ml ethanol 96-99% e.g. organic-ethanol
- 50 ml Aloe Vera Gel
- 10 drops of essential oils (e.g. tea tree oil & lavender oil)
Bisher bei uns
1) Put all utensils and containers in a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes then drain dry
2) Add all ingredients in the container
3) Close the cap and shake well
Since no preservatives is used, the natural handrub should be used up in 3-4 days.
Please consult your doctors, aromatherapists and vets for advices of using essential oils if you have children, pregnant women and pets at home.
Wash or disinfect your hands first?
Neither! Either you wash your hands or you disinfect them. Both are immensely important around the specially strongly adhering corona viruses, which have a long lifespan. Hand disinfection is better for the skin than hand washing.
Wash hands thoroughly with soap for 20-30 seconds. You should thoroughly lather the palms of the hands, the back of the hand, the thumb, the spaces between the fingers and the tips. Then rinse thoroughly and dry with disposable towels if possible.
Hand disinfectants against viruses contain at least 62% alcohol, but often do not dry out the hands as much due to the moisturizing substances (glycerine). Effective hand disinfection should be carried out for at least 30 seconds. Put 3ml disinfections liquid on the DRY palms and rub the liquid in your hands for 30 seconds – including the spaces between the fingers. Do not dry your hands afterwards!
Alexander Helm is a licensed pharmacist (Martin-Luther University) and the founder of Casida. His vision is to combine pharmaceutical know-how and natural remedy into natural health products, and leverage the power of nature to improve human health.